If your ears block over and you break out in a cold sweat with the thought of eating out or having a cheat meal whilst trying to keep to a fitness regimen then read on.
One of the routes to happiness in life comes from creating balance in all that we do. 12WBT is all about helping to create healthy balanced habits for life, in both body and mind.
So you see ‘cheat meals’ don’t have to be seen as a no go zone! In fact allowing yourself a cheat meal occasionally not only helps to satisfy your cravings and give your brain a break from your daily eating regimen, it also helps you to craft your healthy eating regimens to be a long-term habit. This is because for any healthy lifestyle to be maintainable, it has to be realistic.
Here are 2 great recipes that prove that ‘treating’ yourself doesn’t have to hold much ‘weight’!
Chicken & Broccolini Laksa
Traditional laksa can be a killer when it comes to fat and calories, so you’ll love this 12WBT low-cal, low-fat recipe that still delivers on flavour.
- Spray a large saucepan with 1 gram of olive oil spray and heat over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of laksa paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Stir in 2 cups of salt reduced chicken stock and 1 x 375ml can of evaporated milk. Bring to a very gentle simmer over medium heat.
- Add 260 grams of chicken and 1 bunch of broccolini stems (cut any thick stems in half lengthways). Cook for 5 minutes then add the broccolini florets. Cook for 2 minutes more or until chicken is cooked through and broccolini is tender.
- Divide between bowls. Top with 120 grams of bean sprouts, ¼ cup of mint leaves and a ¼ cup of coriander. Serve with lime cheeks to squeeze over.
TIP: Feel free to use whatever veggies are in the fridge or in season and vegetarians can replace the chicken with firm tofu cut into cubes.
Not So Naughty Nachos
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Cut 1x 25 gram piece of mountain bread into triangles and place onto a baking tray. Bake for 5 minutes or until crisp and lightly golden.
- Meanwhile, lightly spray a frying pan with oil and heat over medium heat. Add ½ an onion and 1 celery stalk. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add 1 garlic clove and ½ teaspoon of chilli powder and cook, stirring, for seconds.
- Add 200 grams beef mince and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up any lumps, for 5 minutes or until browned. Stir in 100 grams of drained lentils and ½ can of diced tomatoes. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 8 minutes or until liquid has reduced and thickened.
- Combine 1 fresh tomato, 80 grams of avocado and ¼ cup of coriander in a bowl to make a salsa.
- To assemble, arrange mountain bread crisps on plates and top with beef mixture, salsa and 1 tablespoon of sour cream. Sprinkle with ~1 tablespoon of parmesan to serve.
Also read: Free 12WBT Recipe: Butter Chicken