We know 12WBT members love our recipes, but there’s another important audience our meals have to win over – 12WBT members’ kids! It seems we’re getting it very, very right! We put a call out on 12WBT Facebook to find out which 12WBT recipes kids love the most. More than 300 members past and present got back to us. There were quite a few responses that said, “Everything!!!” (Shucks guys.)
There were however, also a few overwhelming favourites that popped up again and again. The winners are…
1. Penang Chicken
This recipe for 12WBT Penang Chicken won the recipe popularity contest by a mile! It truly is one of our most popular meals across all age groups. It may taste like it came from a restaurant, but it’s much healthier than your typical curry. Coconut milk-based curries can be laden with fat, but with some clever substitutions, this recipe submitted by 12WBTer Alison comes in at just 300 calories per serve!
This 12WBT Lasagne comes in at 269 calories per serve – about one-third of the calories of your average lasagne recipe.
It serves six, so it’s a great one to cut into portions and keep in the freezer for a rainy day. If you’re a vegetarian, you can also substitute lentils for the mince and add more parmesan.
Word of advice, though – this recipe is SO good, it can be tempting to overeat. We recommend making a delicious, green leafy salad to serve with it. When you’re serving it up, make sure three-quarters of your plate is filled with greens, NOT lasagne.
3. Meat Pie with Mushy Peas
Third on the list of kid’s favourites is an Aussie favourite – our 12WBT Meat Pie with Mushy Peas. This one is made with kangaroo mince and served with mushy peas. Kangaroo mince is super-lean and a great source of protein. If its gamey taste has deterred you in the past, you’ll be pleasantly surprised by this guilt-free option. It’s 288 calories per serve; a much healthier choice compared to one Four’N Twenty meat pie, which comes in at 401 calories.
Other faves flagged by 12WBTers were Smokey Chicken Pizzas (recipe below!), Not So Naughty Nachos (get the recipe here!), Beef Fajita with Capsicum & Red Onion and I-can’t-believe-it’s-not Butter Chicken.
Free Recipe: 12WBT Smokey Chicken Pizzas
- 2 serves
- 15 min prep time
- 15 min cooking
- 283 calories/serve
A good hot oven is the secret to a great pizza, this way you get a nice crisp base and toppings that have warmed all the way through.
1 Cups Passata (250g)
1 Cloves Garlic (3g), thinly sliced
2 Tablespoons Basil Leaves (6g), finely shredded
2 Pieces Wholemeal Pita Bread (80g)
100g Smoked Chicken, sliced
1/4 Red Onion (37g), thinly sliced
30g Red Capsicum, sliced
20g Reduced Fat Ricotta
12 Kalamata Olives, Pitted (36g)
1. Preheat oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
2. Put passata, garlic and basil into a non-stick frying pan and cook over a medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until reduced and thickened slightly. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
3. Arrange pita breads onto prepared tray and spread with passata mixture, leaving a small rim around the edge.
4. Top with sliced chicken, red onion, capsicum, ricotta and olives. Bake for 10 minutes or until pizza bases are crisp and cheese is lightly golden.
5. Season with freshly ground black pepper, scatter with a few rocket leaves and serve remaining rocket as a side salad.
- Drizzle rocket leaves with a little lemon juice to dress, if you like.
- Be sure to check the serving size of the pita breads as there can be variations between products.