15 min prep time
45 min cooking
323 Cal / serve
For lovers of eggplant, it doesn’t get better much better than this.
- 1g Olive Oil Spray
- 1/2 Onion (73g), finely chopped
- 1 Cloves Garlic (3g), finely chopped
- 120g Lean Beef Mince
- 1 Tablespoons Tomato Paste (20g)
- 1 Teaspoons Dried Oregano (0.5g)
- 1 Potato (166g)
- 1 Eggplant (325g), cut into 1cm slices
- 1 Tablespoons Plain Flour (12g)
- 3/4 Cups Low Fat Milk (180g)
- 25g Reduced Fat Cheddar, grated
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Spray a saucepan with oil and heat over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until soft. Add mince and cook, stirring to break up lumps, for 3 minutes or until browned.
- Stir in tomato paste, oregano and 2/3 cup (160ml) water. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 10 minutes or until sauce is slightly reduced.
- Meanwhile, cook potato in boiling water for 10 minutes or until just tender. Drain and set aside to cool slightly. Cut into 5mm slices.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Spray eggplant with oil. Cook for 5 minutes each side or until tender and golden.
- Combine flour and 2 tablespoons water in a small bowl and stir until smooth. Place milk in a saucepan and whisk in flour mixture. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, until sauce boils and thickens. Stir in cheese and season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Arrange potato in a single layer over base of a 3 cup (750ml) capacity baking dish. Spread mince mixture over and top with eggplant, overlapping slightly. Pour white sauce over. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden on top.
- If you prefer, use two individual 1 1/2 cup (375ml) capacity ovenproof dishes or ramekins.
- Desiree potatoes work particularly well in this recipe.