20 min prep time
70 min cooking
306 Cal / serve
An italian favourite adapted for a healthy lifestyle! This recipe delivers on taste and satisfaction without overloading on calories. Always a family favourite, this is a fail-safe recipe that will please everyone! You can even make a batch of meatballs to keep in the freezer and simply prepare the pasta on the day. These meatballs contains lean beef mince, carrot, zucchini, mixed herbs, chilli flakes and garlic. Yum! This recipe serves 6 but can easily be adapted for larger or smaller groups or just you! This is a healthy pasta recipe that will taste just like Nona used to make!
- 500g Lean Beef Mince
- 1 Red Onion (89g), finely chopped
- 1 Carrot (61g), grated
- 1 Zucchini (101g), grated
- 1 Teaspoons Dried Mixed Herbs (2g)
- 1 Pinches Chilli Flakes (1g)
- 3 Cloves Garlic (9g), crushed
- 1 X 400g cans Diced Tomato (400g)
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste (40g)
- 200g Wholemeal Pasta
- 30g Parmesan Cheese, finely grated
- Use clean hands to combine the mince, onion, carrot, zucchini, mixed herbs, chilli flakes and three-quarters of the garlic in a bowl. Roll the mixture into balls about the size of a golf ball.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook the meatballs in batches just until browned on the outside. Transfer to a plate.
- Combine the tomato, tomato paste, 185ml (3/4 cup) water and the remaining garlic in the frying pan. Simmer over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
- Return the meatballs to the pan. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water until tender. Drain.
- Divide the pasta, meatballs and sauce among serving dishes and sprinkle with the parmesan.
- These meatballs freeze well. Just cook up the pasta as it’s required.
- Member recipes are submitted and checked to make sure they tick all the boxes in terms of health, nutrition, calories and taste.