As the school holidays continue, so too does our ‘Kids in the Kitchen’ week!
Make a Plan
Safety first: A slip-free step stool lets little ones get in on the action (but keep them away from hot pans or sharp knives).
Be prepared: Take all the ingredients and tools out before you start.
Talk it through: Go over the recipe together so you know what’s planned. Older kids can read out the steps, younger ones can look at the pictures so they understand what the end result should be.
Keep it simple: Choose recipes that are quick and simple to prepare, as you might not hold their attention for too long! All the recipes we’ve chosen involve limited ingredients and steps.
Expect mess: Remember, cooking with kids (or anytime) is often messy, so relax and have fun!
This Fruit & Yoghurt Slice recipe is a yummy treat for afternoon tea or dessert. It does need a little planning ahead as it should set for 8 hours or overnight. Don’t forget to check out our other Kids in the Kitchen recipes for Strawberry Ballerinas and Chocolate Bunnies!
Fruit & Yoghurt Slice Recipe
15 min prep time
51 calories per serve
Extra freezing time required
250g punnet strawberries, hulled, 100g sliced
2 x 9g sachets jelly crystals (18g), (any flavour)
1 cup low-fat natural yoghurt (260g)
400g can apricots, canned in juice, drained
- Line a 26 × 16cm (base measurement) slice tin with non-stick baking paper, extending over the two long sides. Puree unsliced strawberries in a small food processor until smooth. Chop 150g of the apricots and slice the remainder.
- Place jelly crystals in a large heatproof bowl. Add 1 cup (250ml) boiling water and stir until jelly crystals dissolve. Stir in 1 cup (250ml) cold water.
- Add yoghurt and whisk until combined. Stir in chopped apricots and pureed strawberries. Pour into prepared tray and refrigerate for 3 hours or until set
- Carefully remove from the tin and cut into 8 pieces. Serve topped with remaining sliced strawberries and apricots.
Change the type of fruit and the flavour of jelly to create a totally new dish.
- Pour the mixture into small individual dishes so the kids (and you!) can have their very own.
Don’t forget to download our exclusive Holiday Cooking with Kids eBook for loads more child-friendly recipes!