It’s 7.30am and you’re staring into your fridge thinking a very common thought, what the hell am I going to put in the school lunch boxes today?
Lunch Box Help Is At Hand!
Despite our good intentions, it’s easy to get in a healthy lunch box slump when our culinary creativity has reached an all-time low.
Fear not! Our 12WBT dieticians and recipe writers have created three healthy lunch boxes, packed with yummy, healthy meals the kids will love – chicken and salad sandwiches, yoghurt pots, fresh fruit and veggies, wraps, and more. You’ll get a gold star, too!
Free 12WBT Recipe: Egg, Cheese and Lettuce Sandwich
- 1 Cage Free Egg (59g)
- 1/2 tablespoon Low Fat Mayonnaise (10g)
- 2 slices Wholegrain Bread (160g)
- 1 slice of cheese
- 40g Mixed Salad Leaves
- 1/2 Lebanese Cucumber (65g)
1. Place egg into a small saucepan of water and bring to the boil over high heat. As soon as the water boils, begin timing for 5 minutes. Drain well and rinse under cold water, then set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, use a vegetable peeler to cut cucumber into ribbons.
3. Peel egg and place in a small bowl. Use a fork to roughly mash. Add mayonnaise and season with freshly ground black pepper. Mash until well combined.
4. Lay one bread slice out on a clean surface. Top with half the mixed salad leaves, followed by half the cucumber. Spread egg mixture on top of cucumber, then top with remaining cucumber and leaves. Top with remaining bread slice and press down.
5. Wrap firmly in plastic wrap.
To prevent your sandwich going soggy, make sure the leaves are dry and completely cover the slice of bread.
Free Wrap Recipes
Download your FREE 12WBT Wrap eBook, with healthy recipes your kids will love.