If you’re one of those people who barely has time to cook then you need to read this. Let me help you get some more nourishing food on the table in less than 15 minutes. It can be done!
Break The Fast!
Many experts agree that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It helps get the body firing after a long period without any fuel. Here are some fast choices to get your body off to the right start. After all, that café banana bread you’ve been scoffing is actually CAKE – and cake isn’t breakfast.
Fast Breakkie Options
- Untoasted muesli, skim milk, berries and 2 tbs natural yoghurt.
- 1 thick slice of raisin toast with sliced banana and ricotta.
- 1 tub of yoghurt, a piece of fruit and a handful of almonds.
- 2 scrambled eggs (whisked with a little milk and microwaved for 2 minutes) with a slice of grainy bread and sliced tomato. Or try our Poached Eggs with Chickpeas & Dukkah recipe!
- Banana smoothie – blitz 1 banana, skim milk, 1tsp chia seeds, 2 tbs natural yoghurt, cinnamon and 1/3 cup of oats. Sweeten with a little honey if required.
Also read: 10 Meal Prep Tips For Busy Parents
The Lunch Rush
It’s important that you consume a little more at lunchtime than a chocolate bar and a coffee. A poor lunch will inevitably lead to late afternoon ‘hangries’. That lunch will also fuel your brain, so refuel at lunch the right way!
- Make a wholegrain sandwich with pre-washed salad mix, sliced lean ham or turkey, sliced tomato and avocado. Or try a wrap from our eBook!
- Microwave a soup (you’ve previously made and frozen) with a slice of wholegrain toast spread topped with ricotta.
- Make a salad using pre-washed salad mix, toss through some drained 4 Bean Mix, sliced tomato, some lean meat and a sprinkle of feta.
- Make a fast rice salad using a 30 second microwave pack of brown rice, a tin of flavoured tuna and a handful of pre-washed baby spinach, a diced cucumber and some olives.
Also read: Hidden Calories in Takeaway Lunches
Grabbing a take-away meal once a week isn’t an issue, but when it becomes a daily affair, you’ve got to realize it’s not always good for the waistline. So here are some ideas for some fast meals you can whip up after work.
Quick Dinner Ideas
- Shop bought chicken (skin off) and a pre-washed salad mix or a steam fresh pack of microwave vegetables.
- An omelette – whisk two eggs, add some mushrooms, baby spinach, tomato and a little feta. Serve with a slice of wholegrain toast.
- A stir fry using a pre-chopped stir fry vegetable mix (found in the vegetable section of the supermarket) with some pre-cut or minced lean meat. Flavour with some soy, chili, coriander or herbs/spices of choice.
- Healthy steak sandwich – Pan fry or grill a lean ‘minute steak’, add some pre-washed salad mix, some tomato, cucumber, avocado and add some spicy salsa. Pack it all on a wholegrain roll or warm grainy toast.
Fab, Fast Snacks
Yoghurt, nuts, fruit and vegie sticks with hummus.
Organisation Is Key
Lastly, I recommend every now and again doing a weekend cook-up. Meals that can be frozen and taken to work for lunch, or heated up quickly after work in the evenings are great to have on hand! Bottom line is, meals don’t have to take hours to prepare. Having some healthy fast meal ideas at the ready is perfect for those times when you have no time.