The 1 ingredient in the following 5 recipes is PUMPKIN. This vibrant and delicious veggie is one of our favourites here at 12WBT! Why? Because it’s cost-effective and packed full of healthy vitamins and antioxidants. Plus, it’s low in calories at only 50 calories per cup and keeps you feeling fuller for longer. Simply put, pumpkin is a very weight-loss friendly food because you can consume more of it than other carb sources — such as rice and potatoes — but still take in fewer calories. WIN!
Check out 5 of our most delicious 12WBT pumpkin-based recipes to inspire your weekly shop.
Basil & Walnut Pesto Spaghetti with Roast Tomatoes & Pumpkin
- 100g Pumpkin, cut into 2cm cubes
- 60g Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Cup Basil Leaves (40g)
- 1 Clove Garlic (3g), finely chopped
- 7g Walnuts
- 2 Teaspoons Lemon Juice (10g)
- 12g Parmesan Cheese, finely grated
- 50g Spaghetti
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Place pumpkin and tomatoes in a roasting pan. Roast for 25-30 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, process basil, garlic and walnuts using a handheld blender or small food processor. Add lemon juice and process until well combined. Stir in half the parmesan.
- Cook spaghetti in a large saucepan of boiling water following packet directions. Drain and return to pan.
- Roughly squash tomatoes using the back of a spoon. Add tomatoes, pumpkin and pesto to spaghetti. Season with freshly ground black pepper and toss to combine.
- Place pasta in bowl and top with remaining parmesan to serve.
Beef, Pumpkin and Prune Tagine
- 1g Olive Oil Spray
- 180g Lean Beef Chuck Steak, fat trimmed, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 Onion (89g), finely chopped
- 1 Clove Garlic (3g), finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste (25g)
- 1 1/2 Cups Reduced Salt Beef Stock (375g)
- 3 Teaspoons Moroccan Seasoning (15g)
- 140g Pumpkin, cut into 2cm cubes
- 4 Prunes (32g)
- 100g Green Beans, cut in half lengthways
- 2 Tablespoons Rice (35g)
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Coriander (10g)
- Spray a saucepan with oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook, turning occasionally, for 2 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Spray pan again and return to medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until soft. Add tomato paste. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Return beef to pan. Stir in stock, seasoning and ¾ cup (180ml) water. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to very low and simmer, covered, for 1 ½ hours.
- Add pumpkin and prunes. Simmer, covered, for a further 20 minutes or until pumpkin is almost tender.
- Add beans and cook, uncovered, for a further 3-5 minutes or until beans are just tender. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Meanwhile, cook rice in a small saucepan of boiling water for 10 minutes or until tender; drain.
- Sprinkle tagine with coriander, and serve with rice.
Roast Pumpkin and Garlic Soup
1 pumpkin (1800g), halved then chopped into large chunks
1 tablespoon olive oil (20g)
2 onions (178g), chopped
2 potatoes (246g), peeled & chopped
1 leek (83g), chopped
10 cloves garlic (30g)
6 cups liquid vegetable stock (1500g)
8 small grainy bread rolls (400g)
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Place the pumpkin on a baking tray. Spray with olive oil. Bake for 40 minutes or until the flesh is soft and tender. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, potato, leek and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft and lightly golden.
- Add half the stock and the pumpkin. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes then set aside to cool slightly.
- Use a stick mixer to process until smooth. Stir in the remaining stock to the desired thickness.
- Stir over medium heat until heated through. Season with pepper.
- Divide among serving bowls and enjoy with the bread rolls.
Spinach, Ricotta & Pumpkin Cannelloni
- 100g Pumpkin, flesh roughly chopped
- 60g Reduced Fat Ricotta
- 120g Frozen Spinach, thawed, excess moisture squeezed out
- 1 Clove Garlic (3g), crushed
- 1 Shallot (3g), finely chopped
- 6 Tubes Cannelloni Pasta Tubes (90g)
- 300g Passata
- 20g Reduced Fat Cheddar, grated
- 85g Rocket
- 2 Teaspoons Balsamic Vinegar (10g)
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Cook pumpkin in a small saucepan of boiling water for 8 minutes or until tender. Drain, return to pan and roughly mash. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside to cool.
- Add ricotta, spinach, garlic, and shallots to pumpkin. Stuff mixture evenly into pasta tubes.
- Spread half the passata sauce over base of a small baking dish, or use individual dishes. Arrange filled tubes side-by-side on top of sauce, then spread remaining sauce over to cover tubes.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with cheese and bake for a further 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Toss rocket leaves with balsamic vinegar and serve with cannelloni.
Roast Pumpkin and Lentil Veggie Burger
- 70g Pumpkin, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1g Olive Oil Spray
- 1 Pinch Ground Cumin (1g)
- 1/4 Cup Canned Lentils (46g), rinsed & drained
- 1 Shallot (3g), thinly sliced
- 15g Rolled Oats
- 1 Teaspoon Plain Flour (3g)
- 2 Teaspoons Tzatziki (10g)
- 1 Grainy Bread Roll (70g), halved & toasted
- 1/2 Tomato (84g), thinly sliced
- 10g Baby Spinach
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a large baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
- Place pumpkin on prepared tray, spray with oil and sprinkle with cumin. Roast for 25 minutes or until golden and tender. Transfer to a large bowl, roughly mash and set aside to cool.
- Add lentils, shallots and oats to pumpkin. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Using clean hands, combine well. Shape mixture into a patty. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes, to firm.
- Spread flour onto a plate, then dust patty evenly on both sides. Spray a large non-stick frying pan with oil and heat over medium heat. Add patty and cook for 3 minutes each side or until golden.
- Spread tzatziki onto one half of roll. Top with patty, tomato, spinach and roll top to serve.
Want more 1 ingredient hero recipes? That’s what we’re all about! Learn more about our 12WBT meal plans here.