Chicken is a household staple in most Aussie kitchens – it’s high in protein, low in fat, is super versatile AND is very affordable! So we have put together 3 of our favourite chicken recipe ideas that we are sure will become a hit in your household.
Chicken Rice Paper Rolls
Serves: 2 | Prep time: 20 mins | Calories: 288/serve
- 8 Sheets Rice Paper (120g)
- 8 Leaves Mixed Salad Leaves (80g), halved
- 150g Grilled Lean Chicken Breast, shredded
- 2 Carrot (122g), grated
- 2 Lebanese Cucumber (270g), cut into matchsticks
- 1 Red Capsicum (155g), cut into thin strips
- 1/4 Cups Mint Leaves (10g)
- Working with 1 rice paper sheet at a time, dip into a wide, shallow bowl of warm water until just soft. Let excess water drain off, and place flat on a chopping board.
- Place a lettuce leaf in the centre and top with one-eighth of the chicken, carrot, cucumber, capsicum and mint.
- Fold in sides and roll up to enclose. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Serve plain, with some lime wedges, or with a dipping sauce
Creamy Chicken Mushroom Boscaiola
Serves: 1 | Prep time: 20 mins | Cooking time: 15 mins | Calories: 308/serve
- 1g Olive Oil Spray
- 1/2 Onion (45g), thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 Cloves Garlic (5g), crushed
- 100g Lean Chicken Breast, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 Red Capsicum (46g), thinly sliced
- 1/2 Zucchini (51g), cut into matchsticks
- 75g Mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 63g Reduced Fat Ricotta
- 15g Parmesan Cheese, shaved
- 3g Flat Leaf Parsley, chopped
- Spray a large frying pan with olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until soft. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the chicken and cook for 3 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through. Add to the plate with the onion mixture.
- Add the capsicum and zucchini to the frying pan and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until light golden and tender. Transfer to the plate with the chicken and onions.
- Spray the pan lightly again and add the mushrooms. Stir-fry for 2 minutes or until golden. Return the vegetables and chicken to the pan.
- Combine the ricotta with 1-2 tablespoons of water in a jug. Pour over the chicken mixture. Toss to coat and heat through.
- Divide among serving plates. Sprinkle with the parmesan and chopped parsley.
Also read: 5 Dinners Under $10
(I Can’t Believe It’s Not!) Butter Chicken
Serves: 2 | Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 35 mins | Calories: 321/serve
- 1g Olive Oil Spray
- 1/2 Onion (73g), finely chopped
- 200g Lean Chicken Breast, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 Tablespoons Tandoori Paste (23g)
- 1/2 Cups Salt Reduced Chicken Stock Liquid (120g)
- 1/2 X 400g cans Diced Tomato (200g)
- 1/4 Cups Dried Red Lentils (50g)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Light Cream (30g)
- 4 Pappadams (40g)
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Coriander (6g)
- Spray a non-stick frying pan with oil and heat over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add chicken. Cook, turning occasionally, for 4 minutes or until golden. Add curry paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add stock, tomatoes and lentils. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Stir regularly, and more often towards end of cooking. Stir in cream and cook for about 1 minute or until heated through.
- Lightly spray pappadams with oil and cook on a sheet of paper towel in the microwave for 45 seconds or until puffed.
- Divide curry between dishes and serve topped with the coriander leaves and a cup of non-starchy vegetables (like broccoli, cauliflower, green beans or carrots) with pappadams on the side.