Ever get to work and realise you’ve forgotten your lunch or you just didn’t have time to prep something in the morning? It happens to the best of us, but if you’ve got a few handy items stashed in your work drawer, you will survive the day without reaching for not-so-great options.
Here are my ten top items to keep at work and how you can use them!
- 30 second brown rice/quinoa
- Tinned tuna/salmon
- 4 bean mix, chickpeas or tinned corn
- Corn or rice cakes
- Nut butter
- Nuts and seeds
- Fresh or dried fruit
- 90 second oats or muesli
- Olives or sundried tomatoes
- UHT milk or alternative (almond, soy, coconut)
Also read: 10 Meal Prep Tips For Busy Parents
A Day on the Plate (using your desk stash!)
- Breakfast: Bowl of muesli or oats with some UHT milk, sliced or dried fruit and a sprinkle of seeds.
- Morning Tea: Two corn or rice cakes with nut butter.
- Lunch: Tuna rice salad: Combine heated brown rice, with some tinned tuna, tinned corn and some olives or sun-dried tomatoes. A healthy, balanced lunch in no time at all!
- Afternoon Tea: A handful of nuts and a cup of tea.
In addition to these items you could also have some of our 12WBT Crunchy Spiced Chickpeas made up. They make a delicious alternative to plain nuts, and if packaged up into small snap lock snack bags, they can be kept in your drawer without leaving any mess. Enjoy!
Free Recipe: Crunchy Spiced Chickpeas
- 100g canned chickpeas
- 3g ground paprika
- 1g olive oil spray
- Preheat the oven to 230°C.
- Pat dry chickpeas with paper towel. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Place chickpeas on the tray and spray lightly with oil.
- Sprinkle the paprika over the chickpeas and toss to coat evenly. Spread the chickpeas evenly over the tray.
- Roast in oven for 30-40 minutes or until lightly browned and dry to touch. On cooling they should be crunchy.
- Keep an eye on the chickpeas in the last 10 minutes to make sure they don’t burn.
- Member recipes are submitted and checked to make sure they tick all the boxes in terms of health, nutrition, calories and taste.