Did you know that there are approximately muscles 43 in your face? No wonder you can wake up feeling tense! If you frequently experience a tight jaw or a kink in your neck in the a.m., facial yoga may be for you, says Helga Hefner, Aveda Manager of Professional Skin and Spa Education.
There’s no gym—and very little effort—required, and the results are more apt to be soothing than stressful. Upon waking, we recommend using the appropriate Aveda Skin Care cleanser and toner, then applying your Aveda Tulasāra™ Renew Morning Creme. Then take a moment to do a little facial yoga to stimulate micro-circulation and reduce tension in the face. Helga says to consider the moves below a mini massage. Aren’t you feeling better already?
- Beginning at the bottom of each ear, pinch your ear with your index finger and thumb, index finger on the inside of the ear.
- Pull the ears out and down.
- Move up the ear slightly and pull out.
- Move up one or two more times covering the whole length of the ear, pulling out as you go.
Chin up (perform only if you have no neck issues)
- Raise your chin up to the sky, stretching the front of the neck.
- Jut your chin out to deepen the stretch along the front of the neck. Relax your jaw.
- Open your mouth as wide as you can. Relax your mouth.
- Now pucker up! Pucker your lips into a kissing motion.
- Place your index and middle finger of one hand over your lips.
- Press down on your lips with your fingers as you puff up your cheeks. Widen your eyes as much as possible at the same time.
- Relax your cheeks and eyes and take a deep breath.
- Repeat one or two more times.
With your eyes closed, tightly squeeze your eyelids together for five seconds. Open your eyes, and blink as rapidly as you can for five seconds.
Mindful Relaxation with Eyes Closed
- Close your eyes and take some deep breaths.
- Feel the renewed energy and circulation in your face.
- Take a moment to set some positive intentions for your day.